Do you love helping people and enjoy learning about science and medicine? If you answered yes to these questions, then you should consider becoming a pharmacist. Being a pharmacist is a very rewarding profession. Not only are you providing people will the medications they need to be healthy, but also you are also interacting with patients one-on-one. In addition to dispensing medications, pharmacists perform immunizations, health screenings and medical reviews. Using their extensive knowledge of pharmaceuticals, their side effects and how they interact with other drugs, pharmacists also offer advice on over the counter medications and help patients find the best medication to treat their illness or condition.
Here’s why Utah pharmacist Robert Lammle enjoys being a pharmacist:
1. Work directly with patients – Through the wide range of services pharmacist provide, they get to work with patients directly. Many pharmacies are located in high traffic areas, such as shopping centers or near grocery stores, which make them very accessible. People can easily pop in at their convenience and speak to a pharmacist without having to schedule an appointment. Because pharmacies are so accessible, pharmacists get the opportunity to interact with tons of patients throughout the day.
2. Help people – As previously stated, pharmacists have a deep knowledge of pharmaceuticals, their side effects and how they interact with other drugs. Pharmacists also have a vast knowledge of different diseases, illnesses and conditions and know what kinds of medications work best. By understanding patients’ symptoms, they can help them choose the right medication for them and best avoid any side effects. They also help people get well through offering the best drug and non-drug therapies for a patient based on their health history, illness and age.
3. Endless opportunities – Pharmacists enjoy a wide range of career opportunities. While many pharmacists work in drug stores, they can also work in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and managed care organizations. Pharmacists also have the option to work in various other pharmaceutical fields, such as pharmaceutical sales or the research and development of new drugs.
4. Growing demand – Along with the endless career opportunities pharmacists can enjoy, there is a strong demand for pharmacists. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, pharmacists will experience a 17% job growth between 2008 and 2018. This is attributed to a growing demand for the services pharmacists provide.
5. Respected – By being becoming a pharmacist, you are joining a well-respected profession. Pharmacists are trusted by their patients, and the job is consistently rated as one of the most trusted professions by Gallup.